As far back as 1874 city records indicate two aldermen were appointed to procure fire hooks and see that hooks and such equipment remain in the city house unless to be used for a fire.
Early in 1890 a fire in the courthouse created city alderman to establish the organized fire company by ordinance. In July of 1890, the ordinance was proposed “Establishment of Fire Department”. The officers to be elected by the Department were Fire Captain, First Assistant, Second Assistant, and Secretary. The ordinance resulted in a tie vote, two aldermen for and two against. The mayor broke the tie by voting for the proposed ordinance.
The City went on to build a fire bell tower in 1906 to notify firefighters of a fire. It was later upgraded to a siren in 1921. The city department served the community until 1971 when the Union Fire Protection District was approved by voters.
Through the years recorded events such as the Reinhard store fire in 1895, the Bourbeuse Shoe Factory in 1941, the Bulk Plant fire in 1949, the interstate tanker truck fire in 1990, and the Bugsy’s Restaurant fire in 2007, all have defined fire service history in the Union Community.
Our members both past and present have always shown dedication, commitment, and an unselfish pursuit of protecting life and property. These attributes have built a strong foundation from which we continue to operate today.
Today the Union Fire Protection District provides fire protection to the Union community through education, enforcement, and suppression. The District's geographical boundaries consist of 96 square miles in the heart of Franklin County to include the City of Union and the surrounding unincorporated area.